Pages

Friday, December 31, 2010

Starting the New Year off with a bang?

The other morning, I was running the water in the shower (to let it warm up before I got in.) While I was waiting for warm water, I noticed my little Sophie dog licking the floor in front of the shower... I was thinking to myself "What's she getting at now"... and then after further inspection, to my surprise, I saw a large puddle of water-- GREAT.

I finished taking my shower, and inspected the closet for leakage (the closet butts up to the wall where the pipes for the shower are.)

Guess what I found...

I went to work, called the husband and let him know about the "incident" probable disaster. We inspected the area in depth when we both got home from work.



We realized that the shower itself is leaking.. not the pipes.. (this is kind of a good thing.. I think?) It could be easily fixed with some caulk, but we've decided that we would like to should renovate the bathroom.

We have many reasons to redo the master bath, I wish I could find some pictures that could do the talking for me, but at the moment, I can't find any... This brief description should help paint the picture for you..

  • The tile in the shower is beige and old and all of the grout is gross, broken or missing.
  • The shower door is in a state of disrepair.
  • The whole bathroom suffers from 80-90's design flops (broken down below)
  • Florescant lighting in a dropped ceiling with ceiling tiles. (two long lights with one that does not/will not work)
  • Dropped ceiling above the shower (did you know that the Mr. is 6'5? This really sucks for him. Doesn't bother me so much, being 5'5.5 and all.)
  • Wooden builder's grade vanities that total 10.5 feet in length and short. (another problem for the Mr.)
  • These vanities can barely support themselves after being used for over 20 years. I have repaired mine several times to limp it this far.
  • The above mentioned vanities have whiteish/beige/cream laminate countertops that are warped and sagging.
  • The sinks in the above mentioned vanities are beige.
  • The faucets are builder's grade and completely corroded and unsalvagable. When we use them we get sprayed with water.
  • 8.5 foot long mirror running the length of the wall (this is my nemesis)
  • mirrored medicine cabinets that cover the additional 2 feet of wall space.
  • beige toilet... enough said.
  • The towel bars were incorrectly installed and barely holding on to the wall.
  • I can't handle the paint color anymore (this was actually my fault, I painted it a color I loved, and have since fallen out of love with)
  • bi-fold doors leading to the closet... which will also get a minor revamp, since it now has a big hole in the wall.
  • The closet also lacks almost all organizational functionality, I blame the previous owners and their bad choices for space and storage.
  • The tile, which is nice, good quality ceramic tile, is not really our style, or anyone elses living in the decade. Picture below from our kitchen/dining/living room floor demolition/hardwood install.



Our plan of action is to do everything ourselves.. on the cheap. We want to lay new tile throughout the bathroom (this shouldn't be too bad, because it's only about 150 square feet.) We also want to get two separate 36-48" vanities, and separate mirrors with new white sinks, and brushed nickel hardware. We want to fill in the holes from the recessed medicine cabinets and get rid of the dropped ceilings. A new white toilet is also on our list, along with a clean tile shower and new glass shower doors.

Hopefully we can keep in under $2,000 $3,000. fingers crossed

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Share Next Blog»