Last week we started laying down the new floor..

We designed a tile foyer to handle a lot of the wear from entering the house..


We struggled, we sweat, we cursed, we cut, then recut, then cut again...
We almost didn't make it. Seriously. We finished our last couple of cuts on Friday, and we had planned on doing the base boards that night... That didn't happen.
We're lucky that we can work around the clock because we live so far out in the middle of nowhere. At the same time, we're unlucky because we live on a dirt road, and in the summertime dirt roads are not fun. They are especially not fun when a lot of the traffic on the road is heavy equipment and dump trucks. Still even less fun when those trucks are too heavy for the culverts in the road.
Friday the culvert collapsed. We are lucky enough to be the first house on the "inaccessible by any other road" side. We were up until 3 in the morning Friday with several of our neighbors attempting to "fix" the road.

Saturday we started the base boards, and the frantic rearranging and bringing in furniture. I painted 8 12 ft base boards in assembly line fashion, while Dan nailed them up, made his cuts and swore at them. We moved all of our furniture, dusted, dusted more and finished the base boards at 7pm. Then Dan mowed the yard, I weeded the flower beds, and we picked up our garbage and flooring remnants from the outside of the house. I stayed up until 2:30am. Noah talked me into making triple chocolate muffins at around 1:00. I pulled them out of the oven and started making my last minute shopping list for the next morning. While laying in bed making my list, Noah runs in to tell me that they aren't cooked... Of course I didn't check them, because I was so done with the whole day. I had to reheat the oven and throw them in. Twenty minutes later I pulled them out and set them aside, checked them this time. Went to bed.
Sunday morning the house was still in disaster mode. We woke up at 6 just to get more work completed. It was like something you'd see in a movie. We both fought ourselves so hard to keep snoozing. I decided that as long as I had one foot on the ground, I was in the process of waking up. Then I would position myself in an uncomfortable position forcing myself to get up. Dan came in while I was brushing my teeth, and casually asked what I was cooking all night at 350 degrees in the oven... woops. In my defense, I did turn it off the first time.
We made it, I even had enough time to take a shower and get ready thanks to my Mom for helping, and Dan for really taking the initiative to get the job done. There was even time for me to give Dan a haircut before the whole family arrived.
My Simple "Centerpiece" from the garden

Dan being short and Mom trying to be tall while prepping in the kitchen

Some shots last night after the party... note the dogs passed out.


I will take some better pictures this week... as things calm down.



1 comments:
That floor is beautiful!!! Renovations are stressful... But looks like you all do an awesome job!
Have a great Monday!
Post a Comment